Tuesday, December 18, 2018

A Day in the Life #3 - Vipassana Silent Meditation Course

The schedule at the Vipassana 10-day silent meditation course was very organized and rather intense. I spent the first couple of days trying to find ways to optimize my routine within the confines of the daily timetable. Here's what worked for me:

3:45am: woke up and got ready
4:30am: meditated in the meditation hall
6:30am: ate breakfast in the dining hall
7:15am: napped, walked, and/or did laundry
8am: meditated in the meditation hall (mandatory morning session for all participants)
9am: received instructions in the meditation hall and then meditated in my room
11am: ate lunch in the dining hall
11:45am: met with the assistant teacher (AT), walked, and/or napped
1pm: meditated in my room
2:30pm: meditated in the meditation hall (mandatory afternoon session for all participants)
3:30pm: received instructions in the meditation hall and then meditated in my room
5pm: went for tea time and ate fruit in the dining hall (my shower time was 5:10pm to 5:30pm so I only attended tea time every other day)
6pm: meditated in the meditation hall (mandatory evening session for all participants)
7pm: watched the evening discourse (video lecture series)
8:30pm: meditated with all participants in the meditation hall
9pm: returned to my room and got ready for bed
9:15pm: turned off lights and slept

My sleeping pattern had gotten very erratic since quitting my job, so I made sure to wake up early at around 6am for a couple of mornings before leaving for the course. This helped immensely! I was able to adjust to the above daily timetable with no issues. I'm happy to report I've maintained a reasonable sleep schedule since coming home. I've been sleeping at around 10pm or 11pm, and I wake up at around 5:30am or 6am.

I've also been trying to keep up with the recommended two hours of daily meditation, and I've been successful so far. I meditate for an hour in the morning before hubby wakes up and an hour in the afternoon before he comes home from work. I'll be posting more about the entire 10-day experience very soon, but suffice it to say that I learned what I believe are some very valuable life tools--valuable enough to spend two hours a day meditating for the foreseeable future. Despite looking hella creepy while doing it.

  © 2011-2019 | ellesy the petite pear | all rights reserved

Back to TOP