It's time for another 101 in 1001 list!
My last list ran from Mar 21/13 to Dec 17/15 and I accomplished 55 out of my 101 items. It's amazing how 2.74 years passes by so quickly... my priorities and focus did shift quite a bit throughout the duration of my last list so I'm pleased with my overall result even though it is a barely passing grade. Similar to last time, my new list consists of items that are fun that I can't wait to do mixed with things I'd like to do that I've been putting off for a little while (in some cases: a long while). I've combined my big lofty dreams with some simple everyday events. What I love about 101 in 1001 lists is that you can start at any time and that the list can grow with you. Will you be making your own 101 in 1001 list?
Start Date: Dec 18/15
End Date: Sep 14/18
Last Modified: Apr 23/17 ("checked off" items are shown in bold with a date of completion)
Number Completed: 27/101
*Note: list is subject to change & any crossed out items will be modified or replaced.
1. Try at least 100 new-to-me restaurants or eateries in Toronto - 52/100.
- Antler - Dec 18/15 - revisit? yes.
- Parlor Foods & Co - Dec 19/15 - revisit? yes.
- Fabbrica - Jan 2/16 - revisit? yes, for the pizza.
- Hard Rock Cafe - Jan 5/15 - revisit? yes, for the spicy fries.
- Pizza Libretto - Jan 9/15 - revisit? probably not.
- Diwan - Jan 31/15 - revisit? yes.
- Kupfert & Kim - Mar 8/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- Miku - Mar 13/16 - revisit? yes.
- Playa Cabana Hacienda - Mar 16/16 - revisit? yes.
- Trattoria Nervosa - Mar 21/16 - revisit? yes.
- Parcae - Mar 25/16 - revisit? yes.
- Sushi Couture - Apr 2/16 - revisit? yes.
- Roti Cuisine of India - Apr 3/16 - revisit? yes.
- Dandylion - Apr 9/16 - revisit? yes.
- Indian Roti House - Apr 16/16 - revisit? yes.
- Song Cook's - Apr 23/16 - revisit? yes.
- Chipotle Mexican Grill - Apr 24/16 - revisit? yes.
- Fring's - Apr 26/16 - revisit? yes.
- Furlough - Apr 30/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- Los Colibris - May 28/16 - revisit? yes.
- Pho Ai My - Jun 11/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- Pho Hung - Jun 12/16 - revisit? yes.
- The Chickery - Jun 15/16 - revisit? yes.
- Chabrol - Jun 25/16 - revisit? yes.
- Pho Xe Lua (Spadina) - Jun 26/16 - revisit? yes.
- Holts Cafe - Jul 3/16 - revisit? yes.
- Le Baratin - Jul 9/16 - revisit? yes!
- Bang Bang - Jul 9/16 - revisit? yes.
- Nando's - Jul 22/16 - revisit? yes.
- Sushitto on the Road (food truck) - Jul 23/16 - revisit? yes.
- Seven Lives - Aug 7/16 - revisit? probably not.
- Arctic Bites - Aug 7/16 - revisit? yes.
- Ryus Noodle Bar - Aug 14/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- Momofuku Shoto - Aug 21/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- Roma 1090 - Sep 2/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- Shawarma Guys - Aug 28/16 - revisit? no.
- Gyugyuya - Sep 3/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- Carver - Sep 11/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- Portland Variety - Sep 18/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- Tofu Village - Sep 18/16 - revisit? yes.
- Alo - Sep 22/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- FD Pantry - Sep 23/16 - revisit? yes.
- Kanga Meat Pies - Oct 1/16 - revisit? yes.
- Barsa Taberna - Oct 15/16 - revisit? perhaps.
- Bar Reyna - Oct 24/16 - revisit? yes.
- Stelvio - Dec 5/16 - revisit? yes.
- Rock'n'Horse - Dec 7/16 - revisit? perhaps (to ride the mechanical bull).
- Leña - Dec 17/16 - revisit? yes.
- OMAW - Jan 14/17 - revisit? yes!
- Sotto Sotto - Jan 18/17 - revisit? perhaps.
- Pearl King - Mar 2/17 - revisit? perhaps.
- Canis - Apr 1/17 - revisit? yes!
4. Go strawberry or cherry picking.
5. Go apple picking.
6. Train my tastebuds to tolerate coriander/cilantro (in progress).
7. Eat at home every day for one month - no restaurants or takeaway - Nov/16 & Mar/17.
8. Cook at least one recipe from each of my cookbooks - 5/13.
- Jamie Oliver's Everyday Super Food
- Alastair Hendy's Food and Travels Asia
- Railway Station Chicken
- Nigella Lawson's Nigella Bites
- Nigella Lawson's How to Eat
- Nigella Lawson's Kitchen
10. Take a wine class (a self-directed class is acceptable) - Jul 6/16 to Jul 27/16.
11. Train myself to do the splits all three ways (in progress).
12. Celebrate 7th anniversary with a wool or copper gift for hubby - Aug 8/16.
13. Celebrate 8th anniversary with a bronze gift for hubby.
14. Celebrate 9th anniversary with a pottery gift for hubby.
15. Have date night with hubby at least once a month - 15/34. Dec 26/16. Jan 28/16. Feb 2/16. Mar 7/16. Apr 2/16. May 20/16. Jun 24/16. Jul 30/16. Aug 8/16. Sep 18/16. Oct 3/16. Nov 12/16. Dec 4/16. Jan 21/17. Feb 14/17. Mar 25/17. Apr 14/17.
16. Get anniversary photos taken of hubby and me.
17. Go to 3 concerts - 2/3.
- Brian Wilson at Massey Hall - Jul 4/16
- Calum Graham at Toronto Music Garden - Aug 4/16
19. Ride a two person bike or one of those car things on Centre Island - Oct 6/16 (two person bike in Versailles).
20. Go on at least 3 photo walks. 1/3. Nov 19/16.
21. Visit a corn maze.
22. Go trampolining.
23. Watch a drive-in movie.
24. Go cross country skiing.
25. Go snowshoeing.
26. Ride a hot air balloon.
27. Visit the Toronto Aquarium - Dec 23/16.
28. Do EdgeWalk at CN Tower.
29. Play at least 10 escape games & compile a list of the games we've played - 8/10.
- Mysterious Study at Omescape - Jan 2/16 - escaped? yes!
- King of the Bootleggers - Jan 31/16 - escaped? yes!
- The Trial of the Mad Fox Society - Mar 19/16 - escaped? no.
- Butcher's Basement at Roundabout - Mar 19/16 - escaped? yes!
- Station M at Casa Loma - Apr 3/16 - escaped? yes!
- Crossroads at Escape Games Canada - Apr 23/16 - escaped? yes! we were actually a couple seconds late but we are counting it as having escaped :)
- Kingdom of Cats at Omescape - Jul 23/16 - escaped? yes!
- Dracula's Library at Captive - Nov 20/16 - escaped? yes!
31. Take a week off to do the Hot Docs Festival (Apr/May) or TIFF (Sep).
32. Go on a picnic.
33. Throw an axe at BATL.
34. Go to a CFL game.
35. Go to a NFL game.
36. Buy a small daypack for hiking - Mar 18/16.
37. Go on 3 hikes in Toronto - 1/3. Hike from Castle Frank Subway Station to Toronto Brickworks.
38. Spend a minimum of 10 minutes a day for 30/31 days learning Japanese (in progress).
39. Read or listen to at least 35 books (does not include coffee table books) - 18/35.
- A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (audiobook)
- Spark Joy by Marie Kondo
- A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (audiobook)
- A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (audiobook)
- A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (audiobook)
- On Writing by Stephen King
- A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin (audiobook)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling - reread
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling - reread
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling - reread
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling - reread
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling - reread
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling - reread
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling - reread
- Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic: Lessons in Everyday Elegance by Jennifer L. Scott
- The Cozy Life by Pia Edberg
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Condo - reread
- Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang
41. Watch at least 35 documentaries - 21/35.
- Noma: My Perfect Storm
- A Faster Horse
- The Barkley Marathons
- City of Gold
- Inspired to Ride
- Ants on a Shrimp
- The Short Game
- Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things
- Where to Invade Next
- Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
- Finding Traction
- The White Helmets
- Floyd Norman: An Animated Life
- I Am Not Your Guru
- First Monday in May
- Jane McGonigal: The game that can give you 10 extra years of life*
- Josh Luber: Why sneakers are a great investment
- Malcolm Gladwell: Choice, happiness and spaghetti sauce (rewatch)
- Susan Cain: The power of introverts
- Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model.
- Shawn Achor: The happy secret to better work*
- Pamela Meyer: How to spot a liar
- Malene Rydahl: Planting Seeds Of Happiness The Danish Way
- Caroline Goyder: The surprising secret to speaking with confidence
- Malavika Varadan: 7 Ways to Make a Conversation With Anyone
44. Watch at least one season of 3 new-to-me TV series on Netflix - 1/3.
- The Killing (season 1 complete, now watching season 2)
- Stranger Things (in progress)
- Abstract: The Art of Design (in progress)
- Tales by Light (in progress)
- Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States (in progress)
- The Seven Deadly Sins (in progress)
46. Do at least 3 puzzles.
47. Colour at least 35 pages in my colouring book from Italy or postcard set - 4/35.
48. Go to a PaintNite event - Jan 5/16.
49. Complete the Duolingo French course.
50. Complete the Duolingo Spanish course.
51. Reach my ideal makeup inventory numbers.
52. Reach my ideal clothing inventory numbers.
53. Go through Nina Garcia's 100 list and decide which items are appropriate in my ideal wardrobe.
54. Create and implement a plan/schedule for cleaning & decluttering.
55. Revisit credit cards - cancel unused cards, change from Air Miles program, etc. - Feb/17.
56. Add a camel coat to my wardrobe - Dec 26/15.
57. Listen to at least 15 new-to-me podcasts - 8/15.
- The Tim Ferriss Show
- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
- The James Altucher Show
- Missing Richard Simmons
- The Tofugu Podcast
- Learn Japanese Pod
- Japanese - SurvivalPhrases
- Learn Japanese | JapanesePod101.com (Audio)
59. Dye my cowboy boots black - Dec 28/15.
60. Hike the Inca trail - May 16/16 to May 19/16.
61. Hike the Grand Canyon and spend a couple of nights at Phantom Ranch.
62. Visit Hong Kong again - Feb 14/16 to Feb 26/16.
63. Watch a baseball game in Japan.
64. Watch live sumo in Japan again but on the cushions this time.
65. Visit Rabbit Island in Japan.
66. Take at least 1 trip within Canada - ultimate goal of eventually visiting all provinces & territories (so far, I have been to BC, AB, QC, ON, NS).
67. Drive an ATV - Feb 13/17.
68. Plan a special trip for hubby's milestone birthday - Costa Rica - Feb 7/17 to Feb 17/17.
69. Plan a special trip for my milestone birthday (in progress).
70. Blog photos from France 2013 trip (in progress).
71. Try a high intensity interval training class (HIIT) - Mar 25/17.
72. Complete the F45 8-week challenge.
73. Make sangria.
74. Make duck confit - Mar 26/17.
75. Make a time lapse or stop motion video.
76. Film the 50 random facts tag - Jul 29/16.
77. Change all my online passwords.
78. Paint the kitchen ceiling.
79. Find a way to display or store my travel postcards (in progress).
80. Book a float to try a zero gravity/sensory deprivation experience.
81. Get draperies for our condo.
82. Buy a new bed.
83. Buy a new couch - Dec 28/15.
84. Rearrange and reorganize the condo.
85. Get a blowout.
86. Find out my blood type (I think I know from a 10th grade science experiment but would like it confirmed).
87. Get a cover up for my tattoo.
88. Answer the 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind at the end of 2018 and see if my responses have changed.
89. Get Invisalign - started Mar 29/17.
90. Get our wills drawn up.
91. Renew my passport in fall 2016 - Dec/16.
92. Ride a mechanical bull - Dec 7/16.
93. Write and maintain an ongoing favourites blog post (in progress).
94. Try meditation every day for a month - Mar/17.
95. Complete a 30/31 day no-calories-from-drinks challenge - Mar/17.
96. Complete the 30 day plank challenge.
97. Go parasailing - Jan 9/17.
98. Make French onion soup.
99. Take a ballet class - Sep 11/16 & Sep 18/16.
100. Complete a 30/31 day yoga series on YouTube - Jan/17.
101. Make mulled wine - Jan 9/17.